This article provides information on VPN connection speeds. Click any of the following links below to learn more about:
- Information on VPN and connection speeds
- Troubleshooting a slow connection
- Increase your connection speed
- Contact Customer Support
Information on VPN and connection speeds
While your data and bandwidth are not limited in any way, you may experience slower speeds and higher response time when having a VPN active. This is not unusual and is part of the process of having your location and identity private and secure.
Your speed may decrease, as the VPN moves all traffic through an additional stop along the way. This is for rerouting purposes, in order to protect your location and identity. This means that the data goes through a VPN server twice, one time out of your device and one-time back in. Because of the additional encryption, the connection speed may decrease slightly.
Other factors that may affect your connection speed include:
- The distance between you and the server
- The number of users on the server
- The protocol used
- Your actual ISP speeds
Troubleshooting a slow connection
Before using any of the methods listed below to increase your connection speed, we recommend you first identify if it is affected by the VPN.
- Run a free speed test at speedtest.net.
- Turn off your VPN and use the internet normally.
- Determine if you get different results with and without the VPN.
Increase your connection speed
- Switch between your Wi-Fi and Wired Ethernet. Depending on the network and ISP, different connections perform differently when using a VPN.
- Turn off Battery-saving mode. Battery saving mode and other optimization settings may affect essential networking functions. To do this, navigate to your Settings and then in your Power and Battery section, turn off the battery-saving mode.
- Reboot your device. This simple action can often help, as restarting your device will close all apps that are open in the background, as well as clearing your cache and other idle processes that may affect your connection.
Contact Customer Support
If you have any questions, or require further assistance, our support team can help. Contact us at email@example.com and a member of our support team will get back to you within 48 hours.